Saturday, April 12, 2008

Tell us what you think

Now that you've read Bless me, Ultima , tell us what you thought about it. Had you read it before?



If you didn't get a chance to attend a discussion group at any of the East Los Angeles area libraries, feel free and tell us what your impressions were. Here are some helpful topics for discussion:



1. Bless me, Ultima is a coming of age story that chronicles several rites of passage for Antonio. Which aspects of his development are universal, and which are particular to his Hispanic Catholic culture?



2. How does Antonio's perception of Ultima differ from the opinions of those in his town?



3. How does the legend of the Golden Carp resemble the New Testament story of Jesus Christ, or the Mexican story of the Virgin of Guadalupe?



Feel free discuss whatever you like!



It's not too late

You still have time to attend some of our events. Check out our calendar here. You can still catch the book discussion at Cal State Los Angeles, enjoy the "Timeless Tales of New Mexico", the film "The Cry" and our Finale Event at East Los Angeles Library. Join us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I participated in this event. I read Ultima way back in high school, and I remembered liking it, so I gave it a 2nd read. Great job with everything.

Anonymous said...

I had previously read Bless me Ultima and loved it. I am re-reading it again and I am finding myself understanding Anayas work much better. Great book!!